SAS program for calculating blood pressure levels for
unknown
2008-11-20 02:51:02 UTC
Does anyone have or know where to find a sas program that calculates blood
pressure levels for children (by gender, age, and height percentile)? I was
assuming that the CDC would have one available for public use but have not
had any success yet finding one ...
Thanks for your help!
Sounds like you're looking for data, not for SAS code.

How about http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/guidelines/hypertension/child_tbl.htm
D _Sch_
2008-11-20 14:34:29 UTC
Howard and other SAS-L subscribers=2C
=20
I am looking for a SAS program--I have data I need to analyze. The CDC has =
some programs available for public use (a program to calculate BMI for chil=
dren=2C for instance) but I have not been able to find one for blood pressu=
re levels for children. I have documentation to write it myself=2C but it i=
s rather involved -- and I am pretty certain that others have done this bef=
ore me. (For the guidelines I need to use see: Pediatrics 2004=3B114=3B555-=
576. National High Blood Pressure Education Program Working Group on High B=
lood Pressure in Children and Adolescents: The Fourth Report on the Diagnos=
is=2C Evaluation=2C and Treatment of High Blood Pressure in Children and Ad=
olescents. -- the levels are also shown on the website Howard included: htt=
p://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/guidelines/hypertension/child_tbl.htm)Is there anyone=
who would be willing to share the code?
=20
Thanks and best regards=2C
D. > Date: Wed=2C 19 Nov 2008 21:51:02 -0500> From: ***@GMAI=
L.COM> Subject: Re: [SAS-L] SAS program for calculating blood pressure leve=
ls for children?> To: SAS-***@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU> > On Wed=2C 19 Nov 2008 10:05=
:43 -0500=2C D _Sch_ <***@LIVE.COM> wrote:> > >Does anyone have or =
know where to find a sas program that calculates blood> pressure levels for=
children (by gender=2C age=2C and height percentile)? I was> assuming that=
the CDC would have one available for public use but have not> had any succ=
ess yet finding one ...> >> >Thanks for your help!> > Sounds like you're lo=
oking for data=2C not for SAS code.> > How about http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/g=
uidelines/hypertension/child_tbl.htm
Color coding for safety: Windows Live Hotmail alerts you to suspicious emai=
l.
http://windowslive.com/Explore/Hotmail?ocid=3DTXT_TAGLM_WL_hotmail_acq_safe=
ty_112008 =
Schwarz, Barry A
2008-11-20 19:44:21 UTC
Your request still doesn't make sense.

BMI is a computed value based on body measurements. You cannot
measure it directly.

However, blood pressure is a direct measurement. If you don't
measure the blood pressure, there are no other measurements you can take
which will allow you to calculate it.

Perhaps it would help if you told us what kind of analysis you need to
perform.

I am looking for a SAS program--I have data I need to analyze. The CDC
has some programs available for public use (a program to calculate BMI
for children, for instance) but I have not been able to find one for
blood pressure levels for children. I have documentation to write it
myself, but it is rather involved -- and I am pretty certain that others
have done this before me. (For the guidelines I need to use see:
Pediatrics 2004;114;555-576. National High Blood Pressure Education
Program Working Group on High Blood Pressure in Children and
Adolescents: The Fourth Report on the Diagnosis, Evaluation, and
Treatment of High Blood Pressure in Children and Adolescents. -- the
levels are also shown on the website Howard included:
http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/guidelines/hypertension/child_tbl.htm)Is there
anyone who would be willing to share the code?

Thanks and best regards,
D. > Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2008 21:51:02 -0500> From:
SAS-***@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU> > On Wed, 19 Nov 2008 10:05:43 -0500, D _Sch_
<***@LIVE.COM> wrote:> > >Does anyone have or know where to find
Mike Zdeb
2008-11-20 23:56:56 UTC
hi ... no one has offered another approach, so here's one idea

the PDF file cited in the posting has lots of rules for group assignment
based on gender, age, height, and bp type (SBP or DBP)

one possible approach is to make one format for each
combination of bp type (sbp, dbp), age, and height group

that's a lot of formats (476 = 17 ages * 2 genders * 7 height groups * 2 BP types)

but easy to create with a CNTLIN data set

the formats make group assignment easy since you can use PUTN to assign any DBP or SBP to a group

reducing the problem to selecting the correct format in terms of gender+age+height group+type of BP

sbp_group = putn(sbp,catt(gnd,age,'_',height,'s'));
dbp_group = putn(dbp,catt(gnd,age,'_',height,'d'));

this solution worked for the person who posted the problem
if anyone wants a copy of the SAS code (and the data used), send me a note

--
Mike Zdeb
***@Albany School of Public Health
Post by Schwarz, Barry A
Howard and other SAS-L subscribers,
I am looking for a SAS program--I have data I need to analyze. The CDC has some programs available for public use (a program to calculate BMI for
children, for instance) but I have not been able to find one for blood pressure levels for children. I have documentation to write it myself, but it
Post by Schwarz, Barry A
is rather involved -- and I am pretty certain that others have done this before me. (For the guidelines I need to use see: Pediatrics
2004;114;555-576. National High Blood Pressure Education Program Working Group on High Blood Pressure in Children and Adolescents: The Fourth Report
Post by Schwarz, Barry A
on the Diagnosis, Evaluation, and Treatment of High Blood Pressure in Children and Adolescents. -- the levels are also shown on the website Howard
included: http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/guidelines/hypertension/child_tbl.htm)Is there anyone who would be willing to share the code?
Post by Schwarz, Barry A
Thanks and best regards,
levels for children?> To: SAS-***@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU> > On Wed, 19 Nov 2008 10:05:43 -0500, D _Sch_ <***@LIVE.COM> wrote:> > >Does anyone have
s***@gmail.com
2018-08-29 13:50:20 UTC

I am trying to do something similar, could you please provide me with the sas program. Thank you.
Post by Schwarz, Barry A
on the Diagnosis, Evaluation, and Treatment of High Blood Pressure in Children and Adolescents. -- the levels are also shown on the website Howard
included: http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/guidelines/hypertension/child_tbl.htm)Is there anyone who would be willing to share the code?
Thanks and best regards,